Hello everyone. So, work is work. I'm already sick of it, haha, but I just know its a means to end and only temporary. Standing up for 7 hours is a change as well, especially physically.I feel like I'm 80 years old with all my kinks in my back after work. The people I work with are getting better and starting to warm up to me. They are still as interested as ever, with one of the cooks from Slovakia the other day asking me to tell him stories of "college life". Him and another French girl got quite a kick out of some of my frat party stories that they were bending over laughing...which made me laugh just at the sight of it. Who knew my stories were so funny? They also all still comment on how smooth my accent is and how much more they can understand me than the English. A lot of them tell me its because I talk slower and don't use as much slang or expressions they are not used to. A couple of the Hungarian girls told me they have never been able to understand a native English speaking person as well as me! I even had an English man who I was waiting on tell me I had a very "song like" American accent...whatever that means.
Today especially was quite an interesting day for me...at least more than usual. I had a table with an American couple who asked me where I was from and etc.. and after talking to them, I was flagged down by another American woman who I had been waiting who had overheard me talking to them. She asked me whereabouts in Ohio I was from and I obviously stated Columbus, and with a little smile she simply said, "me too". I'm sure my mouth hit the floor when I heard that...I mean of all places, London/Chelsea England in a small cafe, another person from Columbus, Ohio. She explained to me that she had grown up in Upper Arlington (which was even more ironic because of Ben) and went to Columbus School for Girls. Her husband, her, and their children moved to London 10 years ago when his job transferred him here. They were only supposed to stay for 2 years, but it obviously was extended. She actually has a son who is looking at going to school at Miami! So, after chatting a little while she gave me her phone number so that I could call her and possibly have Brendan and I over to her house, which I thought was very kind of her. I just couldn't believe the coincidence....But, then the day even got weirder. Later on I was serving two guys, one Scottish, one American, who again asked me where I was from in the States. I told them and the American said he was from Chicago and lived in Cleveland for a little while, but is now in London with his wife. I told him I knew quite a lot of people from Chicago because I went to Miami University....he then proceeded to tell me he had also went to Miami and graduated in 1994. :) I honestly was shocked and I told him about the lady from Columbus who had just been in. We started on about Miami, telling his Scottish friend all about the school and how much we loved it. I feel like I'm turning into my Dad, who no matter where in the world we go, finds or runs into someone from his small hometown of Bellaire. I guess its true how small of a world we really live in.
Besides all of that, the weekend went well. Brendan had one of his fraternity brothers who is living in Dublin right now stay with us for a couple of days. We also met up with a couple of girls in my sorority who are studying in Luxembourg and came to visit. We went to a couple of clubs...which if you have ever been to a Euro club packed with actual Europeans, you know that the smell isn't too lovely (for some reason deodorant isn't a main priority to some people over here), but we forged through and overcame it. I even got into a dance off with an Irish guy and I obviously won.....although my mother would be shocked if she knew that because she thinks I have two left feet. I had to put the moves on when a circle started forming around us haha. Anyways, it was a good weekend and week...in 2 weeks I'll be in Dublin, Ireland for St. Patrick's day! I'm so excited! Updates coming soon...

No comments:
Post a Comment